How to Pick a Startup
Joining a startup can have higher risks and higher returns. It’s worth it to spend extra time up front researching each company to make sure you choose the right one that will give you the highest return on your investment. As with any big decision, ask a mentor and get a second opinion. Do your research, trust your instincts, and go for it!
Here are the 5 things to look for when considering joining a startup:
- Solves a big problem and has a big market opportunity that big companies will spend money on. Not a nice-to-have product, but a must-have
- Offers a great product/service that’s validated by the market
- Presents a solid team. Learn about the CEO and the leadership team, their track record, how they carry themselves and pay attention to their leadership qualities and attributes
- Has a need that matches your area of expertise.
- Demonstrates big capital and a long-enough runway to succeed